Day old rye/white bread
200g vintage cheddar cheese
200g American cheese
200g Gruyere cheese
3 tsp UmamiPapi Chilli Oil
4 tsp mayonaise
1 brown onion
1 pinch Flaky salt
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 knob butter
- Finely slice your onion.
- In a small fry pan, add your onions with a knob of butter, drizzle of EVOO and some flaky salt over medium-low heat to softened for around 30 minutes.
- While your onions are cooking, microplane or finely grate all your cheeses onto a plate then set aside.
- Keep stirring your onions, once done remove from heat.
- To prepare your toasties, combine a good knob of butter and 2 tsp of UmamiPapi Chilli Oil in a bowl, spread the umami butter on the same side as both your pieces then flip over and spread your mayonnaise on the other sides.
- In a medium sized pan over medium-low heat, add in your bread slices mayonnaise side down and cook for 1 minute.
- After 1 minutes, pop your onions on 1 slice of your bread.
- Add all 3 grated cheeses on top of the onion.
- Top with the other slice of bread and squish down with a spatula.
- Keep an eye on the colour of your toastie and adjust heat as required.
- Sprinkle in some water around the toastie and pop your lid on to melt the cheese.
- After 30 seconds, remove the lid and flip your toastie and cook for a remaining 30 seconds.
- Once you have some nice colour your toastie, remove from the pan and add to your plate.
- Top your toastie with some flaky salt.
- Serve with pickles beside or in the toastie.