1kg beef cheek or brisket
2 tsp coriander seeds
2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp white peppercorns
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cardamom
40g dried red chillies (remove seeds for mild spice)
1/2 cup (approx. 70g) shallot
1/3 cup (approx. 30g) lemongrass stalks
1/4 cup (approx. 25g) galangal
4 coriander root
1/4 cup (approx. 30g) garlic
1 tsp Belachan (fermented shrimp paste)
2 tbsp UmamiPapi Chilli Oil
1/2 cup water
1-2 tsp salt (to taste)
1-2 tbsp white sugar (to taste)
400ml coconut milk
- Toast the seeds in a pan on low heat with no oil for 1-2 minutes until the aromas release.
- Chop the shallots, lemongrass and galangal and peel the garlic.
- Blend all the dry spices, seasonings, chillies, shallots, lemongrass, galangal, Belachan and garlic. Add the water to help the paste blend together. Use more water if necessary.
- Slice the beef into small to medium chunks.
- Sear over high heat in a pot and remove when the sides have browned.
- To the same pot on medium heat, add cooking oil and fry the curry paste to release the flavours and aromas.
- Add the coconut milk and add the chunks of beef back into the pot.
- Mix and then cover for 5 hours on low heat.
- During the 5 hours of simmering, add salt and sugar to taste.
- Chop the zuuchini and potatoes and add in the last 1-2 hours.
- Serve with white rice and enjoy!