1 fennel bulb
6 cloves garlic
300ml thickened cream
500ml chicken stock
2 tbsp UmamiPapi Chilli Oil
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 bunch parsley incl. stalks
2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
2 pinches salt
2 pinches black pepper
- Thinly slice the bulb of your fennel, leek, shallot and garlic then set aside.
- In a wide and deep casserole dish put a generous amount of EVOO on medium heat.
- Add in your fennel with some salt and sautee until broken down, around 10 minutes.
- Once fennel has softened add in your leek and shallots and sautee for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add in your garlic and fennel seeds with more olive oil and cook until fragrant, around 2 minutes.
- Pour in your chicken stock and with a wooden spoon scrape down all the caramelised bits.
- Pour in your cream and spoon in your UmamiPapi and bring to a light simmer and adjust seasoning of salt and pepper.
- Roughly chop your parsley and chop 1 of the lemons into wedges for serving.
- Add in mussels and pop the lid on and cook for 3-5 minutes, be sure to keep on eye on these as you want the mussels to be just opened to prevent over cooking then turn off the heat.
- Garnish with parsley and squeeze lemon wedges all over the mussels and of course more UmamiPapi drizzle then stir.
- Serve with homemade or store-bought bread and a wedge of lemon.