2 cloves garlic
1 bunch parsley
4 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp coriander seed
1 tsp cumin seed
1 tsp fennel seed
1 tbsp UmamiPapi Chilli Oil
1 pinch salt
1 pinch black pepper
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp tomato paste
1/2 cup water
1 loaf bread
- Smoke the eggplant by placing it on a direct flame over the stove. Turn occasionally to get each side.
- Remove the skin and the stem.
- Chop the eggplant into small cubes and transfer to a bowl.
- Dice the garlic.
- Chop the parsley.
- Slice the lemon in half.
- Add olive oil and the garlic to a pan on low heat.
- Add the coriander, cumin and fennel seeds and roast them for a few minutes.
- Add the eggplant to the pan and stir.
- Add UmamiPapi Chilli Oil and mix thoroughly.
- Add the parsley and water.
- Cover for 25 minutes on low heat.
- Remove the lid and add the tomato paste, a squeeze of lemon, butter, salt and pepper.
- At this point the eggplant should be completely soft and you will be able to mash it into a paste.
- Toast the bread and transfer the eggplant onto a serving bowl.
- Drizzle with olive oil and additional UmamiPapi Chilli Oil and serve with lemon wedges and bread.