1.5kg beef short ribs
1 brown onion
4 cloves garlic
1 knob ginger
1 red chilli pepper
4 star anise
1 cinnamon bark
1 tsp five spice powder
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp hoi sin sauce
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tbsp UmamiPapi Chilli Oil
1L chicken stock
1 bunch coriander
- Preheat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius.
- In a large casserole pot (safe for oven use) add cooking oil and turn the stove to high heat.
- Once heated, add the short ribs and cook on all sides until you achieve a nice brown caramelisation.
- Remove the beef ribs.
- Slice the onion, garlic, ginger and red chilli and add to the casserole pot on low heat (except for the red chilli).
- Once they have caramelised, add the five spice, soy sauce, hoi sin, brown sugar, UmamiPapi Chilli Oil, star anise and cinnamon bark and mix.
- Add the chicken stock and beef ribs back into the pot and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover with the lid and place it in the oven for 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, remove the pot from the oven, place it on the stove and take the lid off.
- Turn the stove on high heat and allow the sauce to reduce down to a gravy-like consistency (approx. 10 minutes depending on how much liquid there is).
- Remove the beef ribs from the pot and serve on a plate. Use a ladle to add the gravy from the pot onto the beef ribs.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and the sliced red chilli.
- Serve with Asian greens (Bok Choy or Chinese broccoli) and steamed rice.