1 knob ginger
1 knob garlic
1 tbsp black vinegar
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp brown sugar
5 tbsp water
1 sprig spring onion
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp togarashi
4 coriander leaves
2 tbsp corn starch
2 tbsp UmamiPapi Chilli Oil
- Slice eggplant into small chunks and add to a bowl. Season with salt to help draw out the moisture.
- Dice the garlic, ginger and spring onion.
- Draw out additional mixture from the eggplant by placing them on a white paper towel and squeezing them. Repeat 2-3 times.
- Add corn starch to eggplant and mix well.
- Make a corn starch slurry in a small bowl by adding 2 tsp corn starch and 2 tsp cold water.
- Prepare the sauce by mixing soy sauce, black vinegar, brown sugar and UmamiPapi Chilli Oil to a bowl.
- Add cooking oil to a wok on high heat and add the eggplant cubes. Fry until golden brown and set aside on a serving plate.
- Add the garlic and ginger. Fry until aromatic.
- Add the sauce and stir well. Add corn starch slurry to thicken the sauce after 1-2 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened, pour all over eggplant.
- Add spring onion, sesame seeds, togarashi and coriander leaves.
- Serve with steamed rice.